Saturday, September 23, 2017

Nothing stays the same

Nothing stays the same. No matter how much I’ve wanted to stop time and just have my boys stay the same size.  It’s just not possible. So…life is about choices and the consequences of those choices – good and bad.  As the boys have grown and changed they have taught me more than they think.  There were days when I wondered if I was making the right decision, asking too much of them, not doing more for them, etc.  Since they have been little I’ve wanted to raise independent boys where when they left home they could and wanted to take care of themselves.  Yes, I could have been a mom who always did their laundry and always made sure they had dinner waiting for them on the table, but instead I chose to be the mom who taught them how to do their own laundry and take turns making dinner for the family.  They have grown up being part of a team, being thankful, and learning nothing comes easy.  Now one of my boys has left home and I do miss him like crazy, but my heart is over flowing with joy that he has chosen his own path and is ok being far away and making decisions on his own. Who knows what life is going to bring each us of so in the mean time we all need to do what makes us happy and surround ourselves with people who support our dreams.  Everyone else is kinda wasting our time.  Life is to darn short to not chase down our dreams.


Dreams…I’m a dreamer that is for sure.  Those dreams that seem impossible or even scare me…those are the ones I go after.  As I’ve gotten older this hasn’t changed, if anything it makes me strive for them even more.  I just don’t want to waste a moment on ridiculous things which don’t serve me or the ones around me.  Negativity, pessimistic attitudes…. yuck!

So big dreams call for big plans.  The plans are being drawn and more importantly the drive to get there is stronger than ever.  I’m on a comeback and definitely have unfinished business on the Big Island. In the beginning of my triathlon career just getting to the Big Island and qualifying for the race was my dream. Since then I’ve been dreaming on getting back there and winning my age group.  Anything is possible!  The best thing about this goal is there is no timeline.  I can be 80 and be a world champion. 

Good thing we REALLY like each other:)
The plan…I feel I’m starting over and at times it feels very refreshing, but most of the time it’s a little depressing.  Watts I could push on my bike for an ironman (112 miles) race is now my max effort for 20-30 minutes.  My 100-yard fast pace swim in the pool use to be my 2.4-mile race pace and the run…well…I’m just getting back to being able to run after a tear in my hip and one in my hamstring in late spring.  So it’s gonna be a long road, but a beautiful road I’m not traveling alone.

A few things I know about myself is I’m consistent, I’m a hard worker, and I’m very determined especially when I put my mind to something I truly care about and want.  So for me, I truly believe it’s not a matter of if, but a matter of when I’ll reach my goal. 

So I’ll be blogging my journey along the way and filling you in on my progress and races.  Life has been good to me over this last year of taking it easy.  I’ve added education in wellness coaching and nutrition.  I took a second job (more of a hobby I get paid for) as the Health and Wellness Director at Takedown Gym.  The best part though… spending the last year of soaking in every moment I could knowing it was the last year I was going to have all 5 boys at home.   
Keep dreaming big dreams!
Mom on a mission.


The boys and I after hiking the "M" in Missoula.
Always entertaining on the boat with Wyatt.

He was the one who said...No to a dog, but now look!
"His girl"


2 comments:

  1. You inspire me all the time Michelle to do better and go after those difficult things and conquer! I'm excited to see what all you are going to do. ❤😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it Michelle. Never stop dreaming!

    ReplyDelete